Why choose fish food?
There are many types of commercial feed for fish, shelf life, testing trials in the tested centers, which conclude that some feeds are effective. For pangasius farmers in the North, it is important to understand the reasons for fish selection. It also depends on the water environment and the water filter aquarium.
To keep the pond or any other habitat of the fish healthy, quality water body management and the supplement food for fishes are highly required. Supplemental feeding is the key to making the fishes healthy and big. Ponds are dwelling of phytoplankton, hence are affected by the food consumed by the fishes. There are fishes like bluegills, hybrid striped bass, sunfish, minnows, catfish, etc. who consume the feed directly and gets the most out of it.
According to a survey from BioSpring experts, the largest fish is the fastest since March (temperature rises over 20 degrees Celsius) to October and November to March, the temperature drops and winter temperatures fall. Under 20 degrees Celsius, the fish grow slowly, even stop growing (except cold water fish). Therefore, investment must be more effective than investing in fish feed by industrial feed (March to October).
We can use industrial feeds for fish to feed directly (excluding captive fish) but for some fishes like tilapia, we still use industrial feeds. So fish should only be fed with industrial feed to bring value, but the effect is not high because the cost is high and longer extension of the culture cycle.
Foods for fish are effective
- Rice: Rice varieties in Vietnam have an average protein content of about 7 – 8%, 605 is starch in addition to Vitamin B1, B2, B6 … In freshwater aquaculture, Feed the fish.
- Rice Bran: This is the most widely used raw materials for self-prepared feed in aquaculture. Protein in rice bran is about 13.3%. The composition of rice bran contains a variety of vitamins B6, E and fiber to help fish easily digested.
- Corn: Protein in maize averaged 10.6%, the protein value of maize will increase significantly when mixed with soybean and animal protein such as trash fish and yellow snail. Starch in maize accounted for 69.2%; Corn poor Calcium; Corn’s vitamins are concentrated in the outer shell and germ.
- Cassava: Crushed cassava meal or cassava starch. Crushed cassava contains 3.52% crude protein, 1.04% crude fat, 1.35% crude fiber, 1.58% total mineral. Tapioca starch is easy to distinguish because it is white and has high cohesion, so it is often added to cornmeal, rice and soybean to increase the adhesion of the food.
- Figure: High protein soybeans, as well as many valuable compounds, make soybeans lined up in the world’s most important foods. Protein in the beans is about 40% depending on the type; now many varieties have the high protein content of 43% -50%. The beans also contain calcium, iron, phosphorus, and fiber components that are good for the digestive system. Soybeans are found in many groups of B, such as vitamins B1, B2, B6, in addition to good vitamin E for the growth and development of aquatic animals.
- Trash fish: There are two types of trash fish, including freshwater trash fish and saltwater trash fish. Among them, freshwater fish households mainly utilize fish feed supplement. Freshwater fishes such as tilapia, ditches, sesame carp … Source of this food is very high protein content and also easy to digest so many people mixed with food to feed fish.
- Yellow Nut: Carries high-quality protein, steamed meat, steamed, then dried and ground to add to the food. Or you can directly cook yellow snails and other ingredients to create high-performance fish feed. 4 basic requirements when feeding fish: adequate amount of food, good quality food (no moisture, mold, grease, animal protein content 10% or more and vitamin C 1%), timely feeding, feeding at the right place where fish often come, stable and quiet.
For fish in general, these foods provide the right nutrient for fish to grow naturally. Many livestock households have used feed for Tra fish, Basa fish and as main feed when applying the model of carp.
After the types of foods are mentioned, it is important to consider the procedure of feeding the fishes to yield better results. Let’s check a few points:
- It is best to get the feed from a commercial vendor, which has the sufficient knowledge the best feeds.
- The feed size should be chosen according to the size of the fishes. If the water body has a variety of fishes, then the size should be chosen accordingly.
- The floating ration is preferred. It helps understand the amount of feed eaten by the fishes.
- Feeding should be started at a favorable temperature that is above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature is achieved during the spring season.
- A punctual routine that is, maintaining an accurate time and the feeding place gives a better result.
- The convenient location from where the feed can be thrown into the deep water should be chosen.
- Ponds which are larger than 10 acres, contains more fishes and demand more than one feeding place, hence the number of feeds and places of feeds should be chosen wisely.
- If the fishes consume all the food given, then the next day the quantity of the feed should be increased, as insufficient diet results in stunted growth and promotes disease.
- Maintaining the above-mentioned points yield great results and help in better growth of the fishes as well as the aquatic plants which also contributes to the quality health of the water body.